Thursday, April 8, 2010

Caught, not taught

I've often heard that values are "caught" by children not "taught". That can be a little intimidating, to say the least. Lots of times I'll see or hear one of my kids do or say something that isn't quite lovely, and I'll think, "Ok, where did they see or hear that?" I wish I could point the bony finger at someone else, but often it is the other three pointing back that are correct.  Then there are the good times when I see something and think, "Wow, we've done something right."  The other day at dinner time was one of those times.

When we sat down to dinner, Elijah had his hands over his eyes.


We stopped to look at him and he was mumbling away. Then he took his hands away and shouted,"Ahmun!". He was saying the blessing. Of course, we all made a big deal out of it, so Abbey had to get her attention. She began doing the same thing he had done and I had to take her picture also.



She's been saying the blessing for some time, but just needed some extra acknowledgment.

This also brings to mind another quote that I try to be mindful of,
"Don't be too concerned that your children don't do everything you say, but be very mindful that they see everything you do." 

I forgot where I heard/saw it, but it is so very true!

Speaking of dinner, look where our two dogs camp out every meal..

Can you guess why??

No comments:

Post a Comment