Thursday, February 23, 2012

Birthday celebrations

Yep, the calendar has rolled around again to remind me that I am old! My birthday was on Monday. It was a big birthday, as they say. So big, in fact, that I forbid my family and close friends to breathe a word of it to the outside world. I didn't want any parties or other types of fanfare. We had two small celebrations. The first had to take place on the Saturday, because John had to go out of town on my actual birthday.

Saturday night we went out to eat Chinese and then came home and had cake and ice cream.

Responding to an "old" comment by my beloved

It was a nice time to have everyone together. Anna and Jamie even got to come and join us!

My actual birthday day joy was overshadowed by John having to go out of town. He tried to get out of it, but the "powers that be" at work wouldn't allow him to stay home.

The morning brought a special treat. Jody came and took us to Krispy Kreme. Kristi and her kids joined us. It could have been called the "Krispy Kreme invasion" Our kids sort of, well...not sort of, but actually took over the place. I'm sure the doughnut folks didn't quite know what hit them. But it was quite fun for us!

Later that day Mom and Dad came to visit and celebrate. Mom spent the day imparting her cake decorating wisdom. I'm decorating Elijah a Lightning McQueen cake for his party on Sunday. My Mom was quite giddy that I was doing one of her handicrafts. She's always tried to teach me some on her many, many talents, but I always brushed her off. I'd much rather read a book than knit, crochet or whatever other handicraft she was into at the time. But, I have wanted to learn how to decorate cakes!

 Then we grilled out and again had yet another cake.


It was a nice uneventful day. I enjoyed visiting with Mom and Dad. It helped take my mind off of John being gone.



Anna stopped in the see my Mom and Dad, so she says, I think she just wanted more birthday cake!
My big kids called me. I can tell my kids know what my love language is. Beth wrote me a sweet note and Daniel posted a post on Facebook that made me cry (tears of joy).  Anna told me some very sweet words about our relationship, as well as offering another free babysitting event. (Woo-hoo!) John, Jr. told me my card was in the mail. (I'm sure it will be hand written and heart felt) They all made me feel very loved.
Daniel's post:
I just wanna say happy birthday to the best mom ever. You are loving, generous, honest, and always there for me. I thank God everyday for blessing me with such a wonderful mother. You are the best, and I am going to miss you so much next year.
“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” -W. Irving
Happy Birthday and I love you!



I'm not quite sure why this birthday bothers me a little.  I really think that the whole falling accident thingy has been a bit sobering to me. I hate losing some of my independence, and  I know that further down the road,
( much further, I hope), it will not just be temporarily lost, but gone for the rest of my life.  I certainly don't feel old and don't think I look that old. I appreciate my friends and family doing what I asked and not making a big hullabaloo about my birthday. I've got a great bunch of kiddos. They made me feel loved and that is a great feeling at any age! I'm one blessed Mama!!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy we got to spend a little bit of your special day with you! We did invade Krispy Kreme, for sure. Our little ones will keep us young (right?!?!) . As long as we can color of hair we will be OK. So glad we are friends! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel's tribute to you on FB brought tears to my eyes.
    Glad to have been part of your KK birthday celebration! I owe both you and Jody a copy of that picture...
    And I didn't breathe a word about your birthday to anyone, THIS year. But I may just have to make up for it next!

    ReplyDelete