Friday, January 18, 2013

A Spicy Tradition

We have some wonderful Christmas traditions at our house. They were deliberately chosen and carried on throughout the years. This year, I was informed we had a new tradition. One that I can't remember why we would continue or even start in the first place. Well, that's not entirely true. I do know why it happened this year..one word...testosterone! As I said earlier, my big girls couldn't come to our Christmas Eve celebrations, so the testosterone was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

This new spicy tradition takes place during our pig out time. I've always had Summer Sausage and horseradish sauce, along with cheese and cocktail bread. This year I was told that we had a new tradition which involved huge dollops of pure horseradish on sausage being ingested and then making ridiculous faces as you try to appear normal while your sinuses are being singed with the fiery root.

At first, I refused to succumb to such shenanigans. I'm not one to enjoy pain, especially pain that invokes mirth in my observers. But....when Abbey wanted to participate, (despite my warnings), well, I couldn't take the peer pressure exerted by a 6 year old. (It must be noted that they went easy on our little dare devil. She only had a tiny drop)


I tried to warn her!!

I must admit it did elicit some hilarious faces.

First comes the slight burn

Then all of your sinus cavities swing wide open

You close your eyes to keep the tears from flowing.
The big one himself reacts
Strange sort of glee??

Tear filled eyes

 So, if you can't stop them or impart sense to them, you might as well join them.

Ok, Ok, I know..I'm a wimp!

Elijah, wise little man, sticks to cheese.

"They are all crazy, every one of them!!!" Observes Layla.
So, next year my girls will be with us. We've got to come up with a new tradition that will tame the macho rites of this year!  Any suggestions??



No comments:

Post a Comment