Monday, February 4, 2013

I should be ashamed of myself.

At the beginning of the school year, I posted a blog where I basically bellyached about starting to home school again.  Blah, blah, blah I whined and complained about starting over again.

I should be ashamed of my shortsightedness!

It took about a month before I realized how much fun this is! Yes, it's work. Yes, I don't have very much time alone, but in the grand scheme of how fast kids grow, it's sooo worth it!

I realize with joy that I get to be the one that sees their academic firsts and their look of pride as they accomplish new skills.

I was there to see her make it across the monkey bars for the first time.





 And see him pull himself up on the bar.


 I'll be the one cheering when he finally masters "pumping and pulling"


I'm the one they look to for answers and help. I get to plan fun things that allow them to discover and master new concepts.

Like fingerpainting in chocolate pudding.


 and making butter



 then eating the butter they made



We watched ants make trails in an ant farm, and we will watch caterpillars turn into butterflies.

 It's a blast to participate in activities with them. To let go and act like a child alongside my children. To dance around the kitchen to classical music. To hop like a kangaroo, slide on the floor like a penguin or try to carry an egg between my feet like a daddy penguin. (I'm glad I'm not a penguin!)

To teach them God's truths and watch them as they begin to forge their own relationship with the One who loves them more than I ever could. To be there to answer the questions they have about life, where they came from and the big world around us. Not that I have all the answers, but I hope that this fact also teaches them that it's ok to not have all the answers.

I know these two better than anyone else. I know what frustrates and fascinates each of them. I know how they both learn the best. I can tailor our school to their individual needs.

So I officially retract my former complaints and insert grateful thanks to the Lord, (and my husband, who works so hard in order than I can stay home), that I get to homeschool my kids. It isn't the only good school situation available, but it's the best for us. I've re-realized a simple truth these past few months... it's a wonderful privilege and honor to be a full time teacher to my kids! 


No comments:

Post a Comment