Thursday, January 8, 2015

Not quite ready for that talk


I know it's coming….the talk! The one that makes parents and kids blush and squirm.

Ugggh! The talk.

I should be a pro by now having gotten through, succesfully given it twice now. I feel its looming like the headlights of an oncoming train. I remember breathing a sigh of relief after enlightening my second daughter, much to her horror. No, not really, she just looked at me and said, "Hmm, ok. Can I have a cookie?" While my first daughter looked at me with total disgust and pronounced that that was the grossest thing she'd ever heard.

I'll never forget when my mom was forced to share with me. I'd heard from kids at school, and promptly declared that there was absolutely no way that was true. I defended my opinion so fervently, I was certain of my correct thinking. Imagine my crestfalleness, when my mom confirmed those rumors the kids were spreading!  I was devastated to have to go back to school and eat crow, confessing that they were right and I was wrong.

So when this conversation with Abbey occurred, I knew my days were numbered.

During Christmas, John had the kids watch, "The Nativity Story" movie. During the movie, I heard him explain that, back then people were supposed to get married before they had a baby and since Mary wasn't married, people didn't treat her well. She didn't comment at the time, but in typical Abbey form, she mulled it over for a few days and then approached me.

Abbey: "You know in the old days, a woman wasn't supposed to have a baby unless she was married."
Me: (totally unaware of where this was going) "Yeah, that's right"
Abbey: "Well that's not good. It's not fair"
Me: (now getting intrigued as to where this is going) "Why do you say that?"
Abbey: "How can they be punished for something they can't help"
Me: (light bulb…oh now I get it. I realize I'm treading on dangerous ground, so I need to compose my response carefully) "Well, they kind of can help it. Mary couldn't, but most people can."
Abbey: "How?"
Me: "By only living like they're married with the person they actually are married to." (I say and then take a deep breath, waiting for the next question she throws out there)

But, she let me off the hook! She didn't ask any more questions. Whew! Dodged the bullet that time. But, I know that I'm staring down the barrel of the gun.

As much as I'd like to don my bullet proof vest and stick my head in the sand, I know she needs to hear it from me, from an honest, Biblical perspective.

It won't be long until she comes with more questions and comments. I need to think about what I want to say, I've got to be ready.

And, somehow, with God's help, I will be, all the while thankful that Elijah is a boy.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment