Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Abbey's Illness


The Monday after Thanksgiving, Abbey came home from swim practice and complained of not feeling well. I took her temperature and indeed, she did have a fever. The fever was around 101 and lasted for about 24 hours. I kept her home an extra day from swimming, just because she seemed tired. When she went back to swimming, she complained of being dizzy.

This dizziness continued every practice, so on Dec. 13th, I took her to our pediatrician, who, upon examining Abbey couldn't find anything obvious wrong. She ordered bloodwork and said she wanted Abbey to stay out of swimming until she had been cleared by a cardiologist.

We got an appointment with Dr. Henry, a pediatric cardiologist for Dec. 18th. He diagnosed her with pericardial effusion and said she could not swim for two weeks and would then need to be seen again and reevaluated. Thus began the grand run around....

In the meantime, Abbey really did feel lousy. She would fall asleep at the drop of a hat and didn't eat much at all. (both sooo not my baby's personality). She was terrifically depressed to be feeling so rotten and also to be kept away from doing what she loves.

After Christmas, I called and asked about the blood work the cardiologist was supposed to get from the first sample. They had not called in time, and so no blood work had been done. At my instigation, we had blood drawn. I never heard results.

After New Year's holiday, I called and requested the "two week appointment" the Dr. said they would call me and make. They said they didn't have an opening until Jan. 23rd! Ludicrous, but it becomes even more absurd. Over the course of the next week, I called and asked for a return call to get the blood work results. Each time they assured me the Dr. would call. Each time he never did. I even asked the Ped. to call, which she did, still no response! I finally asked the ped. to give us a referral to another cardiologist. She did and I was able to make an appointment for the next day! I called and canceled our Jan. 23rd appointment, and shared, very nicely, my frustrations. The next morning, low and behold, the first cardiologist called and offered some excuse about a "family emergency", and stating he had been out of the office. Further expressing that he was "a very private person" and would appreciate if I wouldn't share this information with anyone else....fat chance of that, bud! I did not respond, so I'm not breaking my word.  I would hate for someone else to have to go through what we did. The first time I called after New Year's Day, the receptionist actually told me that he was in the office!

So on we went to a new cardiologist. Long story...but the gist was she saw nothing wrong with Abbey's heart and Abbey could return to swimming! Enter one happy girl...

On January 11, Abbey's ban from swimming was lifted!

She's not completely well yet, but is much better. She wasn't able to make it through a practice without dizziness and chest discomfort until Jan. 22. She's been to two practices and swam hard the whole time. She still suffers from fatigue, but it is better.

I've prayed so much for God to heal my baby. It's hurt my heart to see her so sad and not feeling well. I give him praise for the progress she has made. I pray that she continues to improve and can be fully back to herself!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment