Friday, May 20, 2011

Treasures

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:21


I paced the floor, back in March, waiting for my little ones to get brought home to me. Anxiously I looked out the kitchen window, hoping to see the minivan of my dear friends pulling into my cul-de-sac. I'd been away for three days, and while I thoroughly enjoyed my time away, I greatly missed those left at home. As they pulled into the driveway and the kids got out, they came running to me. Both of them had their little hands clasped and exclaimed, "I got you a present!" You could tell they were so excited to present me with, what they thought, were invaluable treasures. Before they would allow me to hug them, they proudly opened their hands to show me their gifts.




They both had two rocks and two Sweetgum balls!

I graciously accepted their offerings and gushed over how wonderful they were and how touched I was that they thought of me!

Later that night, I placed them on my dresser with the pine cone that Abbey had given me for my birthday. I often look at these items and smile inside. Yes, I know, that some say it's not the gift but the thought that counts, and that is certainly true.  But, I also believe that the gift shows the heart of the giver. You see, Abbey and Elijah recognize the beauty and preciousness of God's creation. They recognize the wonder and miraculousness of nature. They haven't yet become desensitized to the gifts that God has given us.

Oh, to have the heart of a child! I'm so thankful for my " living treasures", as they remind me that there is tremendous wonder and beauty in simple things, such as rocks and Sweetgum balls.


Photobucket 

No comments:

Post a Comment