Wednesday, November 25, 2009

My heart is heavy...

On this Thanksgiving eve, while very thankful for God's blessings, I can't help but to have a heavy heart. John Jr will not be able to join us for Thanksgiving. He called yesterday and said he had started to feel poorly on Mon. evening. By last night he had a fever, chills, cough, stomach ache and stuffy nose. Yep, you guessed it... the dreaded H1N1 flu has gotten to my oldest baby boy. He went to Student Health Services and they confirmed it. It makes me so sad. First of all, sadness for me and John. We were so looking forward to having all 6 kids under the same roof for a couple of nights. I was imagining lots of laughs and just plain ole good times. Secondly, it breaks my heart for one of my children to be so sick, and not have me there to take care of them. Not only does he not have me, he is by himself. His roommates are all leaving to go to their homes. He loves Thanksgiving and being with everyone, and especially the food! I was going to make a carrot cake just for him. But, it is not to be. I do have much to be thankful for in this situation, though. I'm thankful that he got sick before he got here. It would be catastrophic for my Dad or Mom to get this flu. Neither John, Abbey, Beth or I have been vaccinated. Elijah is 1/2 protected, and Anna and Daniel have had the shot. So, I praise God for the timing. Although, if I'd had my pick I would have wanted it to hit a few days after Thanksgiving. Again, God's timing is perfect, so I will praise Him for this.  So, tomorrow we will gather at my Mom's and give thanks. Maybe we can do a conference call to John, Jr? And he will get a whole carrot cake just for himself.
"I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High" (Psalm 7:17, NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment