Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Light Bulb Moment


"Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4 (NIV)

The other day I had a light bulb moment. The verse above has always been a favorite of mine. I've taken such comfort in it. I can truly say the Lord has given me many of the desires of my heart. What person wouldn't want God to give them the desires of their heart? But, I've always stumbled on the "Delight yourself in the Lord" part. What does this mean? I really want to do it. Is is possible and how do I go about delighting myself in the Lord?
I get these mini-devotions from Proverbs 31 ministries sent to my e mail. A lot of time they hit me right where I am. A coincidence? Of course not! This one was titled, "The Desires of His Heart". In this article, Jennifer Erin Valent, talks about this verse. She says that in the original Hebrew language the word, "delight" has to do with being soft and pliable. Hmmm, so I need to allow God to shape me,(ie. like the potter and the clay), and then He will give me the desires of my heart. Ok, I can try. Then as I thought more, God gave me this thought. As He molds me more like Him, my desires will mirror God's desires. Ah-ha! That is the key. To become more Christlike so that my desires are His! It is so exciting when I see new insights into God's word. Now, about the molding part, not always easy to allow myself to be molded. But, I can try!

No comments:

Post a Comment