Saturday, April 24, 2010

Why Suffer?

One of the questions regarding our faith that my children ask a lot is, "Why does God let godly people suffer?"  I don't have an answer for this, but it does intrigue me. So, I've done some research in the Bible and meditating for God to reveal some answers to me. I can't begin to know the mind of God, so I can't say that this is what God intends. But, I know that He has given us the Bible, so I've based what I believe on what the Bible has to say.

John and I know a family that has been through tremendous hardships with their son. He was born with a major heart defect, which required many surgeries. This past winter, he contracted the H1N1 virus. Ever since then, he has been in and out of intensive care. He has a myriad of problems. Most are life threatening. He has faced death many times and suffers greatly on a daily basis. His parents are wonderful people, devoted to the Lord. In an e mail sent by his mother the other day, she talked about the possibility of him dying. In that e mail, she expressed concern, not over her own grief, but over the fact that she didn't want it, if it happened, to tarnish her other kids' relationship to the Lord. I've watched her and her husband over the past few months stand up to what, to me, would seem to crush normal people. In this couple, I see God's strength. I think that is the only way someone can stand under such a trial. So, I think this is one reason why God allows suffering: so that we can see His strength and the power as He carries people through tough times.  In the Bible, Paul speaks of this in Phillipians 1:12-14.

Another reason, I'm ashamed to admit, is that suffering leads me to call out to my Lord. When things are going smoothly and all's hunky-dorey, I tend to not study the Bible as much, or pray as fervently. I hate to admit it, but during the hard times, I tend to drawn nearer to Him and praise him more when He delivers me. I hate that it takes that, but sometimes that is the case.

Many years ago, John lost his job. It was a difficult time, but God showed up in so many ways. We were ministered to by the body of Christ repeatedly. In the end, we learned that it was God who was our provider, not John. That lesson has stuck with us and taken us through many slow times in sales. If John hadn't lost his job, I don't know that we would have seen God as our sovereign provider. Psalm 119:71 speaks of learning more about God and His attributes through suffering. 

Suffering develops us into the people that God wants us to be. James 1:2-4 talks about suffering leading to perseverance.  I look at our adoption journeys. We, as everyone does, hit bumps and delays that sometimes made me want to pull my hair out. But, I can say that I definitely developed better patience and perseverance because of it.

Do I think that God brings suffering to us? No!! Suffering exists because we live in a world of sin. But, I do think that God takes the bad and makes it good, or uses it for good.  I've suffered very little in my life, so it may seem that it's easy for me to say these things. I've written these down, not to preach, but because  I want this blog to be a keepsake for my kids and grandkids. So, I hope that one day when they read this, it may help them know and trust the Lord more and more. That is the supreme goal of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment