Saturday, July 31, 2010

"Mommy, that girl's from China"

I had a very interesting insight with Abbey the other day. While checking out at the grocery store, Abbey pointed to the girl that was ringing up our groceries, and said, "She's Chinese." I said, "I don't know, you can ask her." So Abbey did and the girl said that she wasn't Chinese, but actually was Vietnamese. I told her that Abbey and Elijah were from China, and she said, "Well, we're all  Asian!"

We have often wondered if Abbey "caught" the fact that she and Elijah look a little different from the rest of us. In China, we looked for some indication that she noticed that people looked like her, and different from us. But, we never saw or heard any indication. So, it's very interesting that she now notices an Asian face and automatically thinks they are Chinese.

Today we were playing on the bed after nap and for no obvious reason, Abbey states, "I'm American and Chinese!" I'm sure she is mostly parroting what she hears us say, but nevertheless, I'm glad that she is proud to be a Chinese American.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment