Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Lesson From the Ants

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13 NIV


Yikes! We have ants, or I should say we had ants. I discovered last night a trail of tiny ants leading from the top of the window sill to the counter top in my kitchen. I quickly put out some Terro Ant Bait. It is great stuff for getting rid of the teeny tiny ants. First one, then two, then hundreds of ants will stream to the nighty, night ant nectar. When I checked out the progress of my extermination this morning. I saw that many were gathered around, with many more on their way. Then I noticed one little guy. Look at the left side of the tile below the window sill. He's not following the rest. I'm no biologist or animal behaviorist, so I can't explain why this little one was off the beaten path. I thought to myself, "Well, your nonconformity could save your life."

Here lies the point. We can be like the doomed ants and follow the crowd not following God. Many times what seems so enticing or attractive will ultimately lead to our destruction. How many times have we thought, "Well, everyone else is doing it. It can't be that bad." When we set ourselves apart and live for God, we may be the only ones doing so. Because of this choice, we will live. I love it when I can see God's principles in ordinary events.



No comments:

Post a Comment