Thursday, October 15, 2009

Glenda and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day

   I hesitate to write this. As I do, I realize I sound like a spoiled brat. Yes, I have a very good life. Yes, I'm very thankful for my family, and God's mercies. Yes, there are people with real problems, which I don't have. But, I want to be authentic, and not paint a glossed over picture of  life.  I don't want someone reading this to think, "She has a perfect life, why do I struggle, why isn't my life perfect?" Nothing is perfect, while most days are joyful,  it is only by God's grace that some days I don't pull my hair out.
Today was one of those days where I'm glad to go to bed so it will be over. It all started with Abbey getting up early and coming to my room. When she did that, she woke up Elijah. He screamed for quite a while and didn't go back to sleep. They both were up really late last night, because we had a dinner party we had to go to.  As Abbey was struggling to breathe with a stuffy nose, I got a kleenex to blow her nose. When she did, one side started gushing blood. That continued off and on all day. I still have no clue why, but it seems better tonight. So, I get both kids up and they are bears. Elijah is whiney and Abbey looks for any opportunity to take something from him, or push him down. John calls and tells me that the printer needs ink, and since he is going out of town, could I please get some. Well, it is cold and pouring rain all day long. I haven't mastered a way to get both of the kids in and out of their carseats in a quick fashion yet. So, I'm not looking forward to doing so in the rain. About noon, I have had it with the bickering and crying. I give Elijah a bottle and he passes out and even lets me put him in the bed without screaming. I rock Abbey and she falls asleep. I lay her on the couch. Wow! Peace and quiet! Times where they are both asleep are quite rare. I start to post on the blog and read e mail. All too soon, Anna comes barging in the kitchen crying her eyes out. She had hit another car in the parking lot at school. Her crying wakes the princess first, then the prince. They only slept about an hour.  Later, Daniel is at swim practice and needs to be picked up at 6. I'm doing childcare at church.  I have to be there right at 6 also, so he has to get out early and there is no time for dinner. No problem, McDonalds in on the way. At this point, I'm driving rather cautiously, as I know how the day has gone, all I needed was to get in a wreck. Thankfully,  the rest of the evening went rather uneventfully, but still I'm glad it is over. I give this day to the Lord, thank Him that I got through it, ask forgiveness for losing my cool, and  for not being thankful for the opportunities that today has brought(which I probably didn't see, because I was having my little pity party) and pray that tomorrow will be a better day.


  1. Praying today IS a better day for all of you!

  2. Thanks for being real - it isn't always easy being a mom of many, but oh so rewarding ;-) My trick for getting both kids out of the car quickly is to unbuckle them before I get out - then I get them both out from the same side of the minvan on the side of the younger one - the older one climbs over the younger one's carseat. Depending on your car type, it might work for you, too :-) Oh, and if I'm going to use the double stroller, I get that out before I get the kids out...